Or I will like to believe it that way. Colored salt is not new in mommy-blog world – but it was a new to me project and I was blown away at how simple it was. I envisioned THAT project I had seen in so many blogs already (esp. Learn Play Imagine – a mama of boys, who did this project with success). Oh! And I did think that my plan of color mixing + Art project would be received with much enthusiasm. You can only imagine what happened, right?
The project was simple.
– We add a design on paper with glue.
– Then we add the colored salt to it little by little.
– ‘Little by little’ is still an abstract phrase, I guess!
– After this, I just knew that the direction this project was going was west-wards.
Well, then you shake of the excess salt; and leave it to dry. Again *leave it to dry* doesn’t really work here either, so he jumped right in with the next step ( which is ONE of the reasons this did not work). The next step is to put teeny-tiny drops of colored water on the salt to see it travelling through the salt.
– Well again *teeny-tiny* just is way too abstract; so we DUMP the whole yellow water right in! Did it travel, sure it did; but he was too busy dumping to really *see* anything! But he did see the *green*. OK! So at least 1 thing did happen.
– Well at this point I should have a masterpiece or something similar, well all I had a LOT of salt All over the place 🙂
Then of course he wanted to play *independently* with the salt, the car, the glue; I almost said no; but it was one of those days were I was so focused on *yeses* (it is almost painful to remember the salt everywhere)
I would have rated this activity a failure, but he enjoyed this so much (the sensory aspect and the dumping thing too) that I am going to say that this was a winner. Will I do it again? Not in a very long time – it is only so much I can take 😉